Today while working on my homework assignments I found that working in Chrome led me to the results I was looking for quite easily. When I first started to float around my text, I found that the bounding border I was using for the body went away. I figured I could turn in the page just fine without it, but I knew I could find a way to do it. I tried to figure out through different borders and turning on and off different parts, but it seemed like a really big hassle. Instead I found that if I threw in a footer at the bottom where I cleared the floats it would border the entire page. I was all set.
When I loaded my page into Firefox, the border didn’t go to the bottom and cut across the text at the top. I was baffled, but luckily I found the solution on the first try. I had to actually put something in the footer for Firefox to render it as part of the page. Once I added my name it worked perfectly. But I had another issue. My header wouldn’t span across two columns like it did in Chrome. I looked all over the web and according to everything I found I had codded the column-span correctly for Mozilla browsers. I even checked at findmebyip.com to make sure my copy of Firefox supported the option. It said it did, but then I saw a few other people reporting problems with it also. I figured it looked good so I moved on.
Internet Explorer 9 on the other hand displayed the page, but didn’t like any of the features I asked it to display. It was supposed to be Microsoft’s browser that finally supported all these standards that they had been lacking for years. I checked and Microsoft’s current statement is that they don’t support the multi-column layout from CSS3. The article still displays in a reasonable view that doesn’t make the page break, so I left it alone.
I figured I was going to use this assignment to test out some more new CSS3 features and use the second assignment to truly use the idea of building columns and stuff directly. The new CSS3 stuff just seems so much more useful and elegant that I didn’t want to muddy up such an assignment with all that specific formatting stuff, when I could create something that was more fluid. I still need to go back and edit my margins between columns to be more fluid instead of the static width they are now.